BGP Experiment

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jan 8 17:02:58 UTC 2019

Hey,

> After seeing this initial result I'm wondering why the researchers
> couldn't set up their own sandbox first before breaking code on the
> internet.  I believe FRR is a free download and comes with GNU autoconf.

We probably should avoid anything which might demotivate future good
guys from finding breaking bugs and reporting them, while sending
perfectly standard-compliant messages. Only ones who will win are bad
guys who collect libraries of how-to-break-internet.
There are certainly several transit packet of deaths and BGP parser
bugs in each implementation, I'd rather have good guy trigger them and
give me details why my network broke, than have bad guy store them for
future use.

--
  ++ytti