Verizon IDE

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sat Jan 5 23:01:44 UTC 2019

Verizon’s build-out policy boils down to whether or not any new contract will fund the metro-E upgrade costs over a five year period. If it won’t, then SONET is used where there is capacity, right up to the capacity limit. We recently received a 100 Mbps Ethernet circuit on the last OC3 of a SONET node. I argued that we should have been put on MetroE to enable future upgrades, since there is no orderable bandwidth left on this node, and Verizon’s reply was “you would have to order a bigger circuit now”. Frankly, I couldn’t justify the jump to GigE, so here we are on maxed-out facilities.

 -mel beckman