Changing upstream providers, opinions/thoughts on 123.net and cogent

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Sat Jan 5 03:43:12 UTC 2019

To reiterate what's been said...

I would not want to be single-homed to Cogent.  They're fine (and
generally useful and a reasonable use of your operating money) in a blend.

I'm not familiar with 123.net, but looking briefly at them, they appear
to be a regional blend.  Much preferable compared to your other option
assuming they competently operate their network.

FWIW, I wouldn't WANT to be single-homed to anyone, but I'll do it when
it's the right choice.

If you have to be single-homed, you really have to go with a quality
upstream, and you're going to pay for it.  If you have the volume and
connectivity to be multi-homed, do it.  It'll be better in just about
every way.
--
Brandon Martin