Changing upstream providers, opinions/thoughts on 123.net and cogent

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jan 5 03:27:16 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 5:40 PM Aaron Henderson <ahenderson at avci.net> wrote:
> I work for a rural ISP and the powers that be have been thinking about changing our upstream providers. The big names on the table right now are 123.net and Cogent.
>
> I was hoping some of you here might have experience with these providers and could share your experiences and opinions.

Hi Aaron,

I don't know anything about 123.net.

Google "Cogent cake," "cogent sprint," and "cogent telia" for
explanations and examples of how relying on Cogent as your sole
transit provider is likely to bite you in the behind. Using them as a
secondary transit provider in a BGP-managed mix is arguably more
acceptable.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us