IP Dslams

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 4 15:47:30 UTC 2019

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018, Nick Edwards wrote:

> Howdy,
> We have a requirement for an aged care facility to provide voice and data,
> we have the voice worked out, but data, WiFi is out of the question, so are
> looking for IP-Dslams, preferably a system that is all-in-one, or self
> contained, as in contains its own BBRAS/LNS/PPP server/Radius, such as has
> a property managment API, or even just a webpage manager where admin can

Are you sure you need all of that?

When I designed ADSL solutions ~15 years ago I built with Paradyne DSLAM
with ethernet uplink, then we used rfc 1483 bridged over ATM, so no need
for PPP, radius or anything. It was just IPoETHERNEToATM and all the
regular IPoE mechanisms could be used (DHCP etc).

So we just bundled the DSLAM with an L3 switch and that was that. One vlan
per customer which solved the customer isolation problem. Customer could
run modem in either bridged mode or terminate the IPoETHoATM PVC on the RG
itself.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se