does emergency (911) dispatch uses IP ?

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Jan 2 22:56:25 UTC 2019

That's right.  Check out www.west.com

So, your town will hire someone to put the systems in the 911 center and that might be a company like West or say you are a local network provider doing VOIP you could hire west to put in a gateway for you.  State and local governments can hire them to maintain the databases behind all of this.   You dump all of your 911 calls to their gateway (which also has access to your customer address data) and they will handle all of the routing out of their centers for you.  They also provide recording keeping an recording services if you want.  Often the first choice from your site to West's datacenters is VOIP over Internet, they often then have backup landline routes and any other kind of redundancy you want to pay for.  Putting in multiple datacenters and having multiple Internet feeds you can easily outperform the reliability of the traditional POTS infrastructure.   This industry really took off when the CLEC/wireless industry launched to avoid creating a bunch of duplicative expensive infrastructure to meet the public safety regulations.  Better to have a few giants like West take on the liability and build a nice infrastructure anyone can use than to roll you own and have to keep up with the changing technology.  This kind of technology also allows smaller municipalities to get better more advanced systems by purchasing them as a service rather than a one time monster budget hit that traditional 911 centers used to be.

One more great thing about doing this is that the network becomes much more flexible and calls can be routed around failed centers or center that may themselves be in the middle of a disaster.

Disclaimer:  I don't make anything from West just know of their services and roll in the industry.  There are others that might be as good or better.

Steven Naslund