does emergency (911) dispatch uses IP ?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Jan 2 22:36:14 UTC 2019

Yes.

Look for NENA (National Emergency Number Association).

20+ years ago, 911 routing required telco connections in each LATA. Some
legacy (e.g. copper) still uses LATA-based 911 routing, but a lot of 911
routing (i.e. cell, voip, next-gen voice, etc) has been consolidated to a
few service providers' data centers connected via IP.

NextGeneration 911 will be essentially 100% IP.

Cost, efficiency, etc.