Service Provider NetFlow Collectors

Phil Lavin phil.lavin at cloudcall.com
Wed Jan 2 13:59:13 UTC 2019

> Doesn't Kentik cost like $2000 a month minimum?

We recently got a quote from Kentik and I fell off my chair. The annual cost was slightly more than the total upfront purchase cost of the hardware they were collecting Flow from and was significantly more than the total cost each year of running the network (when factoring in power, cross-connects, transit, etc.). I'm told that collecting Flow and BGP from two routers which both do < 10Gbit is "~$32K USD per year for Kentik Pro" - even that feels disproportionally expensive. It does look like an excellent product though I'm struggling to find a business case that justifies the cost on relatively small (sub 2 Tbit/s) networks.