IP Dslams

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Jan 2 12:48:40 UTC 2019

On 1/2/19 6:47 AM, Nick Edwards wrote:
> There are 260 villas, and no coax.

Is there a logical way to distribute the termination?  You might be able
to get better performance (not that you perhaps care, in this case) at
minimal additional cost if you can do building-local termination of each
customer circuit and then backhaul on e.g. bonded VDSL2 or G.FAST over
shorter distances (perhaps hopping building to building).

I'm assuming there's no data grade copper or fiber if there's no coax.
Obviously if you've got those, distributed termination makes even more
sense.

If you do want a centralized solution, an Adtran TA5006 (the small
chassis) with 6x 48 port VDSL2 combo modules (with or without vectoring,
depending on your needs) would do the job (though it fills the chassis
and doesn't allow for expansion, so the full-size TA5000 may be
desirable).  I've played (and am playing with) the same system but with
GPON termination and have been happy with it so far.
--
Brandon Martin