a detour DANE, was A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Feb 28 09:11:05 UTC 2019

Subject: Re: a detour DANE, was A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking Date: Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 08:47:19AM +0000 Quoting Mike Meredith (mike.meredith at port.ac.uk):
> On 27 Feb 2019 13:07:09 -0500, "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com> may have
> written:
> > The IETF one says that nobody used type 99, and some of the few
> > implementations we saw were broken, so we deprecated it.
>
> And just after I'd finished adding in all the SPF records too, so I had to
> turn around and take all them out again immediately after.

You did not have to. I still have them in. (As well as TXT records that
almost look like them, but mostly are there to tickle parser bugs. )

I still get queries for SPF.  Obviously "TXT as RRtype for SPF data"
is a failure and needs to be re-deprecated. (No, I'm joking, but I wish I
wasn't.)

Type-squatting is bad for the Internet, and should be discouraged. And,
Carthago should be destroyed.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668