a detour DANE, was A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Feb 28 09:04:19 UTC 2019

Subject: Re: a detour DANE, was A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking Date: Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 07:59:49PM -0800 Quoting Seth Mattinen (sethm at rollernet.us):
> On 2/27/19 7:02 PM, bzs at theworld.com wrote:
> > I have proposed many times to just move domain WHOIS data into a new
> > RRTYPE and let whoever owns the domain put in that whatever they want,
> > including (and perhaps most usefully for many) just a URL for further
> > detail.
>

> We kind of have that with RP records. But does anyone do it?

I do, as preserver of strange RRtypes people try to deprecate.

dig @primary.se besserwisser.org AXFR | awk '\
	/^;/ {
		next;
		};
	/besserwisser.org/ {
		types[$4]++;
	};
	END {
		for ( RRTYPE in types ) {
			count++;
			printf "%s\t%d\n",
				RRTYPE,
				types[RRTYPE];
			};
			printf "Total:\t%d rrtypes in zone\n",
				count;
};'

NS	5
AAAA	21
DNSKEY	3
SPF	1
A	28
NSEC	62
AFSDB	3
RP	1
MX	2
CNAME	9
SOA	2
RRSIG	147
TXT	6
SSHFP	14
SRV	20
DS	4
Total:	16 rrtypes in zone

(Yes, there's a bug there, but the end figure is correct.)

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668