a detour DANE, was A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Feb 27 22:03:51 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Agreed.  Additionally it suddenly went from something being done along
> with a experiment to being “a experiment on can you transition to a new
> type”.  The transition to type99 was well underway. ...

No, really, we had numbers.  Approximately nobody was using it, and of
the few that were, they were querying just one or just the other and
getting wrong results thereby.

In general I completely agree that new applications should have new
rrtypes. That's why I wrote my extension language, to help add new types
to the provisioning crudware that is the actual blocking factor on new
types.  (The actual servers are all updated pretty quickly.)  But trying
to retrofit a new type to an application that was already (albeit
unwisely) using TXT was a losing battle.

Regards,