A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Feb 27 05:13:00 UTC 2019

On February 26, 2019 at 20:45 johnl at iecc.com (John Levine) wrote:
 > In article <3FD86D54-7FE4-4E1D-8C8D-A4D79F030DAD at pch.net> you write:
 > >That’s the main reason for having a brand TLD at this point, from my point of view.  It’s the reason I’d get one in a heartbeat, if I could afford the fees.
 >
 > Well, actually, you can't get one.  The 2013 round is still working
 > out some issues, e.g. two companies both named Merck who hate each
 > other want .MERCK and neither will budge.  There may be another round
 > but given the stupendous non-success of the current round, I wouldn't
 > hold my breath.

Yeah well ICANN might've done something about string collisions and
trademarks, a 200+ year old problem the rest of the world has worked
out some rules on like the 40+ product categories WIPO uses (tho those
two Merck companies are an unusual problem due to historical reasons.)

But noooo, they made it worse, or not any better, and instead turned
TLDs into something resembling "Pro Wrestling" with all the chair
throwing and phony chokeholds that implies.

(remarks certainly not aimed at John, just venting.)

--
        -Barry Shein