A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Feb 27 01:45:29 UTC 2019

In article <3FD86D54-7FE4-4E1D-8C8D-A4D79F030DAD at pch.net> you write:
>That’s the main reason for having a brand TLD at this point, from my point of view.  It’s the reason I’d get one in a heartbeat, if I could afford the fees.

Well, actually, you can't get one.  The 2013 round is still working
out some issues, e.g. two companies both named Merck who hate each
other want .MERCK and neither will budge.  There may be another round
but given the stupendous non-success of the current round, I wouldn't
hold my breath.

Also, with only one exception, all of the brand TLDs are in fact run
by a handful of of familiar back end services.  (The exception is a
phone company in the Philippines that rolled their own, pretty
marginally.)  PCH presumably has the infrastructure to run one, but
you're really just as well off becoming a registrar and managing your
2LDs in well run TLDs.  You can do that now, it's a lot cheaper.