A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

Montgomery, Douglas (Fed) dougm at nist.gov
Mon Feb 25 03:41:46 UTC 2019

Keith,

You are right, if you can compromise a registrar that permits DNSSEC to be disabled (without notification/confirmation to POCs etc), then you only have a limited period (max of DS TTL) of protection for those resolvers that have already cached the DS.

If that makes DNSSEC irrelevant in this specific scenario is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I agree in that specific scenario it is not preventative.

In the 3rd attack noted below, do we know if the CA that issued the DV CERTS does DNSSEC validation on its DNS challenge queries?

Hopefully folks who deploy DNSSEC signed zones test validation on their domains on a regular basis, and I would hope that a CA issuing DV CERTS would do DNSSEC validation on signed zones in their DNS challenges.

Given that this is only one vector for attacks of a similar style, it seems like locking down the underlying infrastructure is still a good idea.

The paper below mentioned in a NANOG talk last week gives food for thought.

Bamboozling Certificate Authorities with BGP
https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity18/presentation/birge-lee

dougm
--
DougM at NIST