A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

Montgomery, Douglas (Fed) dougm at nist.gov
Sun Feb 24 22:38:07 UTC 2019

You might have missed reading the very article you cite.

"Woodcock said PCH’s reliance on DNSSEC almost completely blocked that attack, but that it managed to snare email credentials for two employees who were traveling at the time.
Aside from that, DNSSEC saved us from being really, thoroughly owned.”

Or maybe ACME .. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-acme-12#section-11.2

"It is therefore RECOMMENDED that ACME-based CAs make all DNS queries via DNSSEC-validating stub or recursive resolvers.  This provides additional protection to domains which choose to make use of DNSSEC.”

I am not sure how many of the domains listed as being hijacked are DNSSEC signed, but it seems if they were, and had a reasonable long TTL on a DS record at their parent, many if not most of these could have been prevented/detected.

ICANN seems to think that is the case: ICANN Calls for Full DNSSEC Deployment
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2019-02-22-en

Of course, DNSSEC is often blamed for not protecting those who did not deploy/use it.  Not sure what can be said about that line of reasoning.

Dougm
--
Doug Montgomery, Manager Internet  & Scalable Systems Research @ NIST