A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking Attacks

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Sat Feb 23 19:13:41 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 23 February, 2019 10:03, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>Very good article, very detailed, with a lot of technical precisions,
>about the recent domain name hijackings (not using the DNS, just good
>old hijackings at registrar or hoster).

>https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/02/a-deep-dive-on-the-recent-widespread-dns-hijacking-attacks/

So in other words this was just an old school script kiddie taking advantage of DNS registrars, the only difference being this was a whole whack of script kiddies acting in concert directed by a not-quite-so-stupid script kiddie, with some "modernz" thrown in for good measure.  (Sounds like an NSA operation to me -- and the targets perfectly match those that the NSA would choose -- plus some good old misdirection just for the jollies of it)

The second takeaway being that DNSSEC is useless in preventing such an occurrence because the script kiddies can merely turn it off at the same time as they redirect DNS.  However, having DNSSEC can protect you from incompetent script-kiddies.  It can also give you a false sense of security.

Did I miss anything?

---