A Zero Spam Mail System [Feedback Request]...sendmail.cf

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Feb 22 04:27:31 UTC 2019

On 20 Feb 2019, at 9:16 PM, bzs at theworld.com wrote:
> On February 20, 2019 at 15:29 bruns at 2mbit.com (Brielle Bruns) wrote:
>> On 2/20/2019 1:22 PM, Matthew Black wrote:
>>> Have you ever created a sendmail.cf without using M4?
>
> I've certainly maintained them, one usually started with whatever came
> with the source distr or maybe you'd get someone to share something
> with you to bang on.
>
> One reason sendmail.cf's seem so complicated is because sendmail was
> designed to gateway and route between very different email systems.

<chuckle>  sendmail.cf was fun, but MMDF channels were so much more amusing –
and rather necessary in order to deal with gatewaying BITNET, phonenet, DECNET,
X25NET, uunp, and ondemand dialup-ip ppp and cslip domains in a semi-reliable
manner on the relay.cs.net <http://relay.cs.net/> and relay2.cs.net <http://relay2.cs.net/> servers.

It didn’t help that many sendmail.cf files in those days shipped relay.cs.net <http://relay.cs.net/> preset as
their default smtp relay host…  always made for large queues and careful editing.

/John