Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Feb 19 04:56:38 UTC 2019

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 08:52, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As an internet service provider with many small business and residential customers, our most common tech support calls are speed related. Customers complaining on slow speeds, slowdowns, etc.
>
> We have a SNMP and ping monitoring platform today, but that mainly tells us up-time and if data is flowing across the interface. We can of course see the link speed, but customer call in saying the are not getting that speed.
>
> We are looking for a way to remotely test customers internet connections besides telling the customer to go to speedtest.net, or worse sending a tech out with a laptop to do the same thing.

So one of the properties of customer experience of internet performance is that their first hop is not going to be exposed in testing from the CPE. This is one of the enduring motivations of internet speed tests run inside clients.

Setting aside claims about buffer bloat. Radio interfaces can have dramatic impact on the first hop latency that propagate to everything upstream.