A Zero Spam Mail System [Feedback Request]

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Feb 18 06:55:21 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 07:33:32AM +0530,
 Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan <giri at dombox.org> wrote
 a message of 515 lines which said:

> My name is Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan. I'm the guy who proposed SMTP
> over TLS on Port 26

Besides all the excellent remarks that were made here (and I seriously
urge you to read them; really), I want to add:

> It's my 5 years of research. So it's worth more than 50 words.

You have a very strange way of measuring the importance of
something. A lot of people spent 30 years or more on useless and
stupid things. The time past is *not* a good indicator of value.

> My prototype codebase has around 200,000 lines of code. [To be exact:
> 466,965 ++ 254,169 --]

Same thing for source code. Boasting of the number of lines, as if it
measured value of the program, won't make people interested. Really,
this metric was abandoned or at east downplayed more than thirty years
ago.

> Sequoia Capital is one of the well known venture firm in the
> world. They have invested in over 250 companies since 1972,
> including Apple, Google, Oracle, PayPal, Stripe, YouTube, Instagram,
> Yahoo! and WhatsApp.

Come on, most people on this list have a lot of experience with the
wonderful world of Silicon Valley startups. We have seen a lot of
dollars invested in really stupid projects. "One VC gave me money"
proves nothing, except that some people have too much money and too
little sense.