fs.com dwdm equipment

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Feb 18 06:17:18 UTC 2019

We’ve purchased many SFP modules from fs.com<http://fs.com> for Cisco gear, and the only problem we run into is that Cisco IOS seem unwilling to expose the error counters via SNMP. This is kind of annoying, because that’s how we get early warning of fiber problems. I suspect IOS does this deliberately because it notices the module is not OEM. But the cost savings with fs.com<http://fs.com> is tremendous, so we put up with this inconvenience.

On a side note, their sales support is always prompt and very personable. Technical support seems to be limited to offering free advance warranty replacement shipping. With a few hundred modules, we’ve had maybe two dead ones. So less than 1% iinfant mortality on pretty complex optics.

 -mel