Last Mile Design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Feb 15 07:58:35 UTC 2019

On 14/Feb/19 23:25, Brandon Martin wrote:

> The CES is...wonky.  My Foundry/Brocade/Extreme SEs have steered me
> away from them on more than one occasion.
>
> The CER is fine but of course more expensive.  It'll take a full
> Internet table, though, which is handy.
>
> For AE resi deployments, I'd aggregate folks onto cheap 48 port
> switches then terminate onto a single pizza box router somewhere "less
> deep" in the network.  Distributed, in-field L3 termination doesn't
> mean you have to terminate L3 right at the customer-facing port.

One of the reasons I'd pay a little extra for an Active-E FTTH-centric
switch is to control bandwidth right at the port the customer connects
to. Cheap Ethernet switches generally don't have this capability (or if
they do, have it in only one direction). This is why I felt the CES/CER
were reasonable, but purely as Layer 2 termination and not using their
IP/MPLS capabilities.

Anyway, it's been a while since I had any interest in this, so it's
possible life has changed since I was at the beach :-).

Mark.