Last Mile Design

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Thu Feb 14 21:25:15 UTC 2019

On 2/14/19 12:08 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> As a pure FTTH Active-E AN, I still think the Brocade (Extreme) CER/CES
> is a good box.

The CES is...wonky.  My Foundry/Brocade/Extreme SEs have steered me away
from them on more than one occasion.

The CER is fine but of course more expensive.  It'll take a full
Internet table, though, which is handy.

For AE resi deployments, I'd aggregate folks onto cheap 48 port switches
then terminate onto a single pizza box router somewhere "less deep" in
the network.  Distributed, in-field L3 termination doesn't mean you have
to terminate L3 right at the customer-facing port.

--
Brandon Martin