Return to NANOG, last mile, municipal facilities

Howard C. Berkowitz sy at netcases.net
Thu Feb 14 15:48:02 UTC 2019

It frightens me when I realize how long it's been since I was active in
NANOG (2006?, but a lot before then). Happily, I'm surfacing from a lot
of health and personal issues, and starting to do some consulting.
*waves to lots of old friends, thinking of the time, in frustration,
that I called VZ the employer of last resort for color-blind cable
splicers. No long term insult intended.*

I'm newly on the cable TV advisory commission for the Village of Chatham
on Cape Cod, and trying to find other counterparts and specific
experience. I am proposing that my committee take on a broader scope, to
include municipal communications architecture not just with cable, but
with town owned facilities/leased duct/carrier hotel, systematic
cellular repeater towar placement and leasing, and WLANs among town
buildings and possibly for residents. I'm also interacting with the
emergency operations manager for various VHF, GETS/WPS telephony, and
perhaps satellite. We're a fishing community with lots of marine band
radio and satellite; the backup for the town and county emergency
communications is 2-meter ham. Anyone else doing something like this?

As a fishing and resort area, we'll be looking at providing WLAN
connectivity in the harbor and nearby waters.

We have an incumbent cable provider, which will not change this year.
The committee advises the town on the contract and modifications. One
area is that the town share of cable revenues is going down with more
movie-over-IP and the like getting users to drop cable subscriptions.
Cellular repeater rents might be one balancer.

--
Howard C. Berkowitz
95 George Ryder Rd.
sy at netcases.net