BGP topological vs centralized route reflector

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Feb 14 05:15:49 UTC 2019

On 13/Feb/19 20:00, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Main advantage of out-of-path is that you decouple FIB and RIB scaling
> requirements and feature requirements. Your backbone device does not
> need to be qualified for large RIB or BGP at all. And when you do need
> more RIB scaling, you can upgrade out-of-path without any network
> interruption.

We've ran this for years (Cisco CSR1000v, since 2014), and our biggest
problem has been server hardware failure. Failing fans, sensitivity to
higher temperatures that routers can weather better... that sort of thing.

Other than that, run this as a VM in your favourite hypervisor and
you're good to go. Can't recommend it enough.

Mark.