BGP topological vs centralized route reflector

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Feb 13 18:00:33 UTC 2019

Hey,

in-band, out-of-band is bit of misnomers to me. You mean in-path or out-of-path.

Main advantage of out-of-path is that you decouple FIB and RIB scaling
requirements and feature requirements. Your backbone device does not
need to be qualified for large RIB or BGP at all. And when you do need
more RIB scaling, you can upgrade out-of-path without any network
interruption.

Main advantage of in-path is maturity and simplicity, you don't need
ORR and you might not need AddPath.

--
  ++ytti