Last Mile Design

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Feb 11 14:21:44 UTC 2019

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019, Mark Tinka wrote:

> We have the same problem here in Africa too (and I saw it in Asia-Pac
> while I was there as well)... non-telco-centric companies that deployed

Speaking of an Asia-Pac example, Thailand, the government owned telco.

https://www.tot.co.th/%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%95/tot-fiber-2u

Typically there are 1-3 different FTTH providers if you live in something
that resembles a town, pay 50-100EUR installation fee, they show up within
days to pull your new fiber and now you can have 150/50 for around 20EUR a
month.

The price level has remained the same the past 5-6 years, but speed has
gone up from 10/3 to 150/50 for the same monthly payment. Last year the
150/50 price level offering was 100/20 instead.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se