Last Mile Design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Feb 11 13:46:53 UTC 2019

On 11/Feb/19 12:49, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> In Sweden it's very common that people who live in detached house
> areas have to pay 1500-3000EUR to get attached to the fiber network as
> it's being built out. There are even bank loans you can get to pay for
> this, and pay it off over time. It's considered to be a good deal
> because it improves the value of the house as well as a huge
> improvement over having satellite-dish/terrestrial TV and ADSL/LTE for
> Internet access, now instead you can pay 30-40EUR a month to get a
> everything over the fiber.

Yes, makes sense, especially if you can get support to fund it.

> Now, I like the LLUB model where ISPs get access to the dark fiber all
> the way to the customer, and we do have that here as well, just not as
> commonly as I'd like. That's where https://www.bahnhof.se/villafiber/
> comes from where they offer 10GE for 50EUR a month. This is done on
> Telia LLUB:ed dark fiber which costs around 15EUR a month (regulated
> price). It's a great PR case for "dark fiber access rocks and
> bitstream sucks". You get IPv6 in there as well, which isn't commonly
> available on most of the bitstream access services (because not only
> do we not do PON, we don't do PPPoE either here in Sweden).

Cut the price of wine and meat and I'll move to this PPPoE-free land :-).

> So it's a mixed bag and pricing and functionality could definitely be
> better, but the FTTH rollout has gone quite well here and it's as
> usual 10-15 different factors contributing but the willingness of the
> population who lives in houses to fork out 1500-3000EUR for fiber
> install has made this a lot less cash flow misery for the ISPs that
> roll this out. I just wish there would have been a requirement for
> everybody to actually rent this dark fiber out (which there isn't
> unless you're one of the biggest players) because after paying those
> 1500-3000EUR and you ask the fiber installation company "who owns this
> fiber?" they say "we do" and if you ask "ok, I'd like it connected to
> someone else" they will say "huh? what do you mean". There is an
> unfortunate common conflation between the fiber optic cable and the
> services offered on it.

I get what you're saying, but sadly, someone has to take the risk to
build out a network. Unless you are a large incumbent like Telia,
chances are it will be company whose sole focus is just fibre network
construction, and anything higher up in the layers is of no interest to
them.

Mark.