Last Mile Design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Feb 11 03:57:20 UTC 2019

On 10/Feb/19 17:46, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> As you get access to the fiber itself, nobody will care what speeds or
> even what technology you use on that fiber.

This has always been the end-goal:

  * How many IPTV channels do I get; not how much bandwidth do they require?
  * How many annual free Voice minutes do they get; not how many
    concurrent calls can I fit into 128Kbps?
  * Is Netflix 4K streaming included; not how much bandwidth do I have
    for streaming?
  * e.t.c.

> In any case, we are now building out our own fiber to cover the gaps
> left by TDC. Here the end user has to pay DKK 12,000 (USD 1,824 / EUR
> 1,608) one time fee and with that he gets everything including 5 years
> of free internet. This works out at DKK 200 / month including 25% VAT
> tax (USD 30 / EUR 27).

Very interesting - don't you feel that an initial outlay like that could
put some potential customers off? Then again, per capita income in
Denmark, I'd imagine, could allow most to think about this. If all that
buys me Internet access for 5 years before I have to shell out anymore
wedge, I'd do it.

Mark.