Last Mile Design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Feb 11 03:50:15 UTC 2019

On 10/Feb/19 16:30, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> I also have available 250/50 via DOCSIS for approx the same EUR35.
>
> Basically access technology (AE/GPON/DOCSIS) doesn't matter a huge
> part, it's all about market and competition.

In essence, agreed.

For the most part, my 100Mbps does the job, despite it being "a bit too
priced". It could have been worse, but as things go in Africa at the
moment in this space, what I am paying for 100Mbps FTTH is actually very
reasonable.

The only reason for considering anything faster is when I upgrade my
standard HD TV to 4K/UHD, and then I can upgrade my Netflix subscription
to match :-).

But for the current use-case (a small LAN, family Internet access, VoD
streaming, a VoIP "land" line and my home office), I can't really
complain. I wouldn't know what to do with a Gig, but at least my
provider can get me there, should that day come.

Mark.