Last Mile Design

Thomas Bellman bellman at nsc.liu.se
Sat Feb 9 21:04:39 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-09 18:59 CET, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> For anyone saying it's "impossible" to do AE they're welcome here to
> the nordic region and especially Sweden where PON is basically unheard
> of. We have millions of AE connected households. I live in one of them.

However, large parts (probably even most) of our FTTH deployments have
been built, and are owned, by our municipalities, not private companies.
And have had government subsidies.  (Sometimes outsourced to normal
commercial companies, but those companies then have the municipality as
their customer, not us end-users.)

Even without the subsidies, I expect that changes what kind of long-
term view is taken on the investment.  A purely commercial company might
want a return on their investments in just a few years, and if the fiber
plant needs to be replaced in its entirety ten years from now, that will
be the problem of a different CEO. :-)  A municipality (or a company
wholly owned by the municipality) is used to build roads and water pipes
with expected lifetimes of 50 years, and might build their fiber plants
expecting them to live 20 years or longer.

	/Bellman