Last Mile Design

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Feb 9 19:12:06 UTC 2019

On 2/9/19 1:44 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:

> So let me ask this:  Are there any functional reasons to favor AE over
> PON /within/ the lifecycle of a deployment?  Does one methodology
> offer any significant advantages or disadvantages over the other?  If
> so, is (are) the pro(s) / con(s) applicable to specific use case(s)?

With early PON designs, upstream bandwidth was horrible. Not
particularly useful if you're doing things like remote backup, or video
chatting, or running a server (business grade service). GPON does better
on upstream bandwidth, but it's still asymmetric.

If you're marketing to business customers, or home office professionals,
of families with multiple users that consume upstream bandwidth, AE
gives you a lot of room for upside growth (assuming you provision the
right kinds of fiber).

---

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra