Last Mile Design

Clayton Zekelman clayton at MNSi.Net
Sat Feb 9 18:35:18 UTC 2019

We have around 60,000 homes passed with GPON architecture.  I'm not
really sure how we would have built that with active roadside
cabinets, and still have been able to maintain any sort cost control.

If we did it with a home run individual fibre scheme hauled back to a
central POP, the frame would have been massive and the power and
cooling requirements would have made the entire project unfeasible.

Maybe the economics are different in other markets.

Because PON is so widely deployed, you can count on vendors coming up
with capacity increases (NG, X, etc.) to support the installed base
of infrastructure. Verizon alone will drive that market.

  From a purist point of view, AE is a nice idea, but it really isn't
necessary for now or the foreseeable future.

--

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)

tel. 519-985-8410