Last Mile Design

Ben Cannon ben at 6by7.net
Sat Feb 9 07:19:20 UTC 2019

PON in my view is well suited for residential distribution and use profiles.  10G/XG-PON at 10gig/2.5gig is a pretty serious residential connection and even 2.5/1 is pretty great for residential 1/1 symmetric service.

That said, I would in urban environments not recommend designing for GPON physical cable plan - go AE on your cabling.  Play with PON if you want more headaches here with little redeeming features IMO.   Instead, design rings/meshes, and think redundant/diverse path and entry/distro.  There’s a reason telco standards work.     These days there’s little reason to separate residential vs commercial traffic, it’s all packets at our scale.  Our core is agnostic and switches anything we throw it at hardware speed, and it’s HA (min 2 core routers in every POP - even some customer buildings have diverse/redundant fiber entry from us now, back to multiple $alldayallnightjob POPs no less, in some cases to meet regulatory minimum standards compliance.  All of our DCs are built this way.    Fact is, if you want a network to be fast as hell, and never ever go down, think redundant everything with diversity.

That said, for rural distribution, especially cheap aerial residential services in far flung locations - there’s literally nothing finer and faster and more cost effective than GPON - which is HUGELY important for reaching the final 15 MILLION Americans that do not have broadband internet connections at all.

For those people, GPON can be nothing short of utterly life transforming.

-Ben Cannon
CEO 6x7 Networks & 6x7 Telecom, LLC
ben at 6by7.net <mailto:ben at 6by7.net>