Last Mile Design

Aaron aaron at wholesaleinternet.net
Fri Feb 8 21:02:21 UTC 2019

My statement was meant to be tongue in cheek.  We deliver 1G to the home
free of charge and make our money on the 10,40 and 100G connections.  We
haven't been able to deliver those capacities over PON so we've never
really taken it seriously.  As with everything else, you're use case and
economics may vary.

Aaron

On 2/8/2019 2:31 PM, Tony Wicks wrote:
> It also significantly reduces the requirement to distribute active equipment into the field while massively reducing the feeder fibre requirement. Point to point has its place to be sure, but mass market FTTH is not viable without PON's economics.
>

> On 02/08/2019 12:48 PM, Aaron wrote:
>> I've always felt PON is a tool for people who don't know how to design a
>> proper network.
> Why is that?
>
> I always thought PON was a technology that reduced the number of active
> ports, thus altering the port cost per subscriber significantly by not
> actually needing dedicated ports.

Aaron Wendel
Chief Technical Officer
Wholesale Internet, Inc. (AS 32097)