IP Geo-Location

Bryan Holloway bryan at shout.net
Mon Feb 4 20:12:23 UTC 2019

On 2/4/19 1:36 PM, Ben Logan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the proper way to specify the location of prefixes within a
> larger prefix?  For example, we purchased a /17 and it is registered in
> ARIN as being located in our home town.  However, smaller prefixes
> within that /17 are located in different areas of VA and NC, and people
> are complaining about location services showing them in the wrong area.
> Not sure how to "properly" fix it.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

* Create assignment objects in ARIN for your longer-prefixes based on
customer and/or region with appropriate geographic info,

* Make sure your forward and reverse DNS are accurate -- I'm told some
geo-location databases look at this if you put geographic info into your
A(AAA) or PTR records, (e.g., blah.raleigh.nc.us.myfavoriteisp.net)

* Reach out to GeoIP DBs like MaxMind, IP2Location, etc. and submit updates.

Unfortunately, you may have to wait several weeks or even a month for
databases to update.

C'est la vie.