Wikipedia drops support for old Android smartphones; mandates TLSv1.2 to read

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Tue Dec 31 16:32:33 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 7:17 AM Matt Harris <matt at netfire.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 9:11 AM Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
>
>> On 12/31/19 12:50 AM, Ryan Hamel wrote:
>> > Just let the old platforms ride off into the sunset as originally
>> > planned like the SSL implementations in older JRE installs, XP, etc.
>> You
>> > shouldn't be holding onto the past.
>>

>> Because poor people anywhere on earth that might not have access to the
>> newer technology don't deserve access to Wikipedia, right? Gotta make
>> sure information is only accessible to those with means to keep "lesser"
>> people out.
>>

> The better solution here isn't to continue to support known-flawed
> protocols, which perhaps puts those same populations you're referring to
> here at greatest risk, but rather to enable access to open technologies for
> those populations which ensures that they can continue to receive security
> updates from a vendor that doesn't have a big financial motive to deprecate
> devices and force users to purchase upgraded hardware instead of just
> receiving security updates to their existing devices.

Unfortunately, this is the high-tech privilege equivalent of saying "let
them eat cake" - because of upgrade friction on mobile in under-resources
areas (including, I might add, specific sub-populations of US consumers!)

If there were reliable, official, clean replacement Androrid ROMs for older
hardware, the cottage industry of end-user phone repair in many countries
could take a perfectly good phone and get basic modern services working on
it.

But there aren't - and there's little financial motivation for the phone
OEMs to provide one. And there isn't really much you can do to replace the
OS on an old iPhone, either.

One of the best things that Google could do for the security of the Android
ecosystem is to provide clean, OEM-bloat-free, reference ROMs for older
phones with minimal backported security updates. I would expect that such
ROMs must actually exist internally, as needed for OEM patch integration
testing.

The answer to why such ROMs will likely not be made publicly available is
left as an exercise for the reader.

Royce