Wikipedia drops support for old Android smartphones; mandates TLSv1.2 to read

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Tue Dec 31 16:31:04 UTC 2019

There are really two arguments here.

1. TLSv1.0 is insecure and should never be used in an HTTPS scenario - cant argue with this
2. Alot of static content sites are forcing HTTPS even though “technically” there is nothing that needs to be secured in transit - this is where the argument lies.

Why does access to wikipedia need to go over https? There is no login, no credit card  or SSNs being transferred, etc.,. Part of the blame is google, they started penalize sites in their index if they didn’t do https, as a result, almost every website now does ssl - everything from allrecipes.com <http://allrecipes.com/> to a mommy blog, literally you cant find a non-ssl website anymore, everybody wants the better google rank, so they all gave in and went 100% ssl.

There is a reason however for search engines to enforce https, its a privacy issue, everyone is snooping on you, so if you dont want your ISP knowing what your searching for (http://search.com/?q=looking+for+a+divorce+lawyer) and then selling that info to advertisers, you need https - and yes Wiki is sort of search engine.

What I foresee happening is people will come up with a 3rd party solution, basically, you’ll start seeing people offer http->https proxy services, it will be interesting to see if the content source providers try to clamp down on this or let it happen…

-John