5G roadblock: labor

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Dec 31 15:49:00 UTC 2019

I do not disupte the fact that 5G NR is better than 4G LTE. However, it isn't going to have monumental spectral efficiency improvements that aren't available in the LTE world. Mostly the capacity improvements are coming from moving from 2x2 MIMO to something like 64x64 MuMIMO (which is available in the LTE world) or through new spectrum.

Rural fixed service is best served by fixed operators (WISPs), not mobile companies. The mobile companies keep trying to do fixed service, but it always sucks... badly. Generally they come in, announce some new, spectacularly awesome service. Customers leave the local company for the mobile company. They often return within 60 days because the service was so bad. In those areas where the mobile companies aren't doing 4G at the moment, you might as well discard any hope that they'll ever do anything useful for you and look for the local WISP to solve your need.

Post-600MHz auction, US operators generally have some reasonable amount of spectrum below 1 GHz, which is good for good building penetration. They generally have pretty good amount of spectrum from 1.7 GHz - 2.3 GHz. Really only Sprint uses anything between 2.3 and 10 GHz. Anything above that is going to be short-range LOS only.

I'm not sure what hype train is winning the race, IoT or 5G. Most IoT devices are not going to have high bandwidth requirements, but will need low power usage.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com