5G roadblock: labor

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Dec 31 14:32:42 UTC 2019

Perhaps in some cases, but not in most. For example, I live in a brick house with a metal roof on a farm, near the edge of most mobile providers' cells for the respective towers.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5615500436
https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5615504363
https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5615508821

Same spot in the house, same device, T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular all delivered reasonable performance to the speedtest.net server of choice for that test.

As I go further rural, the impact is mostly due to coverage, not a lack of capacity. Most 5G won't fix that, with the exception of T-Mobile, who is deploying 5G on a lower frequency.

As I go further suburban and urban, the performances generally increases. 5G will likely be there first, but there generally isn't a performance issue in those situations.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com