5G roadblock: labor

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Mon Dec 30 22:46:18 UTC 2019

On 12/30/19 5:42 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> Oh, I didn't know that. Seems like it's a relatively new thing. Seems
> like they went to a lot of trouble to essentially do what voip does. Or
> maybe not? I've been poking around trying figure out what's going on
> under the hood with wifi calling, and it seems like they're just
> tunneling PSTN bits over the internet. If true, that's certainly a quick
> and dirty hack. Maybe they're doing something similar for volte?

My understanding is that VoLTE is signaled using SIP.  I don't know how
the media moves.  I think they tried to avoid re-inventing the wheel.
Most of the "phone" guys are slinging a lot of inter-network calls via
IP these days, anyway.

> Mostly what I want in the future is a dollop of EF QoS bits and let me
> determine how to use them...

Believe it or not, several of the major wireless and even wireline
carriers seem to do this to some degree, though my evidence is
anecdotal.  They don't seem to drop when you exceed your dollop, though,
but rather re-mark.
--
Brandon Martin