5G roadblock: labor

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Mon Dec 30 20:36:46 UTC 2019

I mean it's inevitable that 5G replaces 4G. It just comes down to the spectrum the given carrier uses that dictates speed and range. In the US, AT&T and Verizon are deploying in the millimeter bands. They'll do a gig at a few hundred feet. T-Mobile is using 600 MHz, so it'll probably only do 100 megabit (based on the small channels they have), but it'll go 10+ miles through nearly anything. Sprint is in the middle. They'll be able to do hundreds of megs at miles of range.

Lower latency is another advantage of 5G.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com