5G roadblock: labor

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Dec 30 20:24:05 UTC 2019

Unfortunately, Wi-Fi handoffs suck donkey balls compared to
cell tower handoffs when moving.  It's fine when you're
stationary, but walking down the street, and shifting from
one wifi hotspot to the next, you're going to be dropping
and re-establishing connections with a new endpoint IP
address every time.

If we solve the issue of endpoint identity on a connection
independent of the transport, so that your video stream
of the game doesn't have to stop and restart every time
you shift from one access point to the next, I could
definitely see wi-Fi beating 5G.

Otherwise, I think 5G will win, in terms of better
user experience when non-stationary.

Matt