power to the internet

Jason Wilson jason at remotelylocated.com
Fri Dec 27 23:05:21 UTC 2019

This is all in conjunction with the CPUC. I believe it is also a part of a
court order. I’ll need to find that later

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/

I don’t want to copy the whole thing but this is the bulk of it before it
goes Into when the outages were.

Wildfires are more destructive and deadlier than in the past, and the
threat of wildfires is more prevalent throughout the state and calendar
year. The overall pattern shows the emerging effects of climate change in
our daily lives. If you need information on disaster relief protections for
customers of affected areas during any state of emergency, please read our
blog <https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/cpucblog.aspx?id=6442463069&blogid=1551>.

Throughout the year, the CPUC works with CalFire and the Office of
Emergency Services to reduce the risk of utility infrastructure starting
wildfires, to strengthen utility preparedness for emergencies, and to
improve utility services during and after emergencies. Interagency
coordination, and cooperation from the utilities is essential when the
threat of wildfires is high.

The State's investor-owned electric utilities, notably Pacific Gas and
Electric Company (PG&E), Southern California Edison, and San Diego Gas &
Electric (SDG&E), may shut off electric power, referred to as
"de-energization" or Public Safety Power Shut-offs (PSPS), to protect
public safety under California law, specifically California Public
Utilities Code
<http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codesTOCSelected.xhtml?tocCode=PUC&tocTitle=+Public+Utilities+Code+-+PUC>
(PU
Code) Sections 451 and 399.2(a).

CPUC Actions

On July 12, 2018, the CPUC adopted Resolution ESRB-8
<http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M217/K801/217801749.PDF>to
strengthen customer notification requirements before de-energization events
and ordered utilities to engage local communities in developing
de-energization programs. Utilities must submit a report within 10 days
after each de-energization event, and after high-fire-threat events where
the utility provided notifications to local government, agencies, and
customers of possible de-energization though no de-energization occurred.
These reports are accessible below.

On December 13, 2018, the CPUC opened a new Rulemaking
<http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M251/K987/251987258.PDF>
 (R.18-12-005
<https://apps.cpuc.ca.gov/apex/f?p=401:56:0::NO:RP,57,RIR:P5_PROCEEDING_SELECT:R1812005>)
to examine utilities' PSPS processes and practices, the impacts on
communities and access and functional needs populations, efforts to reduce
the need for de-energization, and mitigate measures to reduce the impacts
when implemented. The Rulemaking will also review and improve existing
reporting requirements.  On May 30, 2019, in its ongoing efforts to
expeditiously implement Senate Bill 901, the CPUC made its Phase I decision
<http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M296/K867/296867634.PDF>
in
the proceeding, making improvements to utility communication and
notification protocols to ensure that clear rules are in place as early as
possible to prepare for the 2019 fire season.

On August 14, 2019, the CPUC opened a second phase (Phase 2) in R.18-12-005
to address additional aspects of the utilities' PSPS processes and
practices and to expand upon the guidelines adopted in Phase 1. In Phase 2
the CPUC will consider, among other issues, identification and
communication with access and functional needs populations, communication
with customers while the power is turned off, communication during
reenergization, mitigation measures, coordination with emergency
responders, and transmission-level de-energization.

Proceeding documents are available on the Docket Card
<https://apps.cpuc.ca.gov/apex/f?p=401:56:0::NO:RP,57,RIR:P5_PROCEEDING_SELECT:R1812005>
.

Send your comments on the proceeding to public.advisor at cpuc.ca.gov and
refer to proceeding number R.18-12-005.

The CPUC is working with the Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES)
<http://www.caloes.ca.gov/>, CAL FIRE <http://www.fire.ca.gov/>, and
first-responders to address potential impacts of utility de-energization
practices on emergency response activities, including evacuations. The CPUC
is also monitoring the development and will continuously assess
implementation of de-energization programs by utilities, including
performing a thorough review of de-energization events as they occur.

On October 18, 2019, the CPUC held an Emergency Meeting to hear from top
Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) executives to publicly address the
mistakes and operational gaps identified in the utility’s October 2019 PSPS
events and to provide lessons learned to ensure they are not repeated. More
information about the meeting is available under "October 2019 PSPS Events"
below.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 2:57 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 12/26/19 6:38 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
> >> This time it’s PG&E all alone, but still fallout from back then. Too
> >> much liability and they’ve not maintained the infrastructure and so
> >> they decided that to reduce the liability costs it’s cheaper to
> >> blackout. Same story again different colors. PG&E making a mint while
> >> people get screwed (PG&E was mostly at the getting screwed end in
> >> 2000-2001)
> >
> > PG&E has been the one in the news, but SCE appears to have been making
> > the same choices with about the same effects. The Thomas Fire was
> > briefly the largest wildfire in state history, and the source (well,
> > with the rain) of the Montecito mud flow a few weeks later. We're told
> > that SCE seems to figure in that one and several others before and since.
> >
> > I go back and forth on who might be responsible. The electric
> > utilities bear blame for their infrastructure; it should be
> > underground, not strung from poles. I would put some to the state and
> > the management of the various national forests and national parks in
> > the area - one of the outcomes from a fire in 2007 or thereabouts was
> > that the ecology folks had been protecting foliage, and that foliage
> > burned and clogged streams, with all sorts of results. Surprise! If
> > you're worried about ecology, you should support management of it. In
> > California, there are also laws holding home-owners responsible for
> > "defensible space" around their homes.
> >

> When I lived in Socal, we certainly had hellacious brush fires when the
> Santa Ana winds blew. I don't remember any/many of them being attributed
> SCE though? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention? Do remember anything
> about that, Fred? We've forever had an urban-wildland interface problem
> -- I mean, how many times has Malibu burned down, it seemed like every
> other year.
>
> Apparently San Diego Gas and Electric has been something of a pioneer
> after the horrible Cedar fire, and apparently it's made a difference.
>
> Mike
>
> --

Jason Wilson
Remotely Located
Providing High Speed Internet to out of the way places.
530-651-1736
530-748-9608 Cell
www.remotelylocated.com