power to the internet

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Dec 26 18:55:30 UTC 2019

On 12/26/19 10:41 AM, Ben Cannon wrote:
> Exactly. And we will build it all.
>
> The power stuff is serious people.  We’ve gotten letters from the FCC
> over it.  There is additional regulation coming down when people can’t
> call 911!
>
> You need at minimum 8 hours (or your CRT response time with a
> generator trailer, or a standby generator or two) of battery on your
> telecom equipment. All of it. Everywhere.
>
> Comcast is the worst about this, they never replace and often don’t
> even place batteries in their RTs at all - and they are going to get
> fined over it mark my words.

Here in California, you're going to need a lot more than 8 hours. We had
one that lasted 3 days, followed by about 8 hours of power, followed by
2 days of no power. If this is the new normal, and I'm afraid that it
is, that's probably going to require some pretty hefty backup. Not to
mention expensive.

The one "good" thing that PG&E did is expose all of these
vulnerabilities. Every neighborhood probably knows whether their carrier
is naughty or nice now.

Mike