power to the internet

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Dec 26 18:44:20 UTC 2019

On 12/26/19 10:26 AM, Tom Beecher wrote:
> If that was a reference to my comments, it was certainly not my
> intention. I was striving to avoid it being seen as that, but
> apparently fell short.

Not directed at you at all.

> To reanswer the question posed though, is still the same ; $$$. If
> network operators take the position that the electric utility supply
> should be more reliable than it is, then they need to start
> influencing and lobbying for ways for that to happen. If not, they
> will have to increase investments into local generation or storage
> capacity to bridge those gaps.
>
> You seem to imply that regulation is inherently bad; however the
> scenario that you describe (power failures impacting 911 service) is
> only a concern to an operator if there is a legislatively define
> deterrent.

Not at all. I'm saying that this problem will be solved one way or the
other. Frankly it's surprising that anybody offering telephony service
has gotten away with not fulfilling the battery backup mandate. I guess
there must have been some wiggle room that the carriers took advantage
of. And if so, legislation to fix that will be immanent.

Mike