power to the internet

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Thu Dec 26 03:10:20 UTC 2019

On 12/25/19 6:29 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> Yes, this is exactly right. My point here isn't to assign blame, but to
> ask what the hell we're going to do about it. Trying to score political
> points is disgusting.

Do you live in California?  Do you have your business in California?
Take a look at neighboring states.  I did.  California madness is why I
now live in Nevada.

Our ecology doesn't have the Austrailian plant Eucalyptus.  We do have
tumbleweeds which pose their own fire risk.  Place like Lake Tahoe is
heavily forested -- the difference is that in Nevada there is active
fuel control and controlled burns, so we have fewer burn-to-the-ground
fires in populated areas.

I used to make a living as a freelance writer.  A GOOD living.  In
Nevada I'm outside the reach of CA AB 5 should I want to give up
$DAYJOB.  When I have to subcontract freelance work, I won't hire a
California resident, because I don't want to be controlled by any
"long-reach" laws.  Because the law and Calufornia court decisions are
currently silent about C, S, and LLC writers, I avoid them until the
climate becomes clearer.

Do I experience power outages?  Yes.  Longest duration?  Several hours,
when high winds cause damage (but that damage doesn't start wildfires).
One very nice thing is that where I am, we have a geothermal power plant
close by (on the order of 15 miles).  No pre-emptive wide-area
shutdowns, though.

NV Energy has photoelectric arrays that are part of the utility, not
only on private roof-tops.