Akamai/HollisterCo

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Wed Dec 18 21:57:40 UTC 2019

I thank you for your efforts.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jared Mauch" <jared at puck.nether.net>
To: "Mike Hammett" <nanog at ics-il.net>
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 3:56:17 PM
Subject: Re: Akamai/HollisterCo

I’ve had a hard time internally getting people to answer questions around this or how to properly escalate what appears to be blocking related issues. I’m honestly at wits end with them.

I’ll give you these links:

https://community.akamai.com/customers/s/article/Why-is-Akamai-Blocking-Me-Part-3-Partners-Performing-Web-Scraping-Activity?language=en_US
https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

The reality is when you end up behind a NAT pool or shared IP set, this is entirely possible someone (or thing) is doing malicious activity. I’ve asked the teams to improve the errors presented to users in this case, so perhaps it will get better.

If you have a specific reference ID you get back, you can send it to me in e-mail (text, no images please) and I’ll look it up to see what can be found.

But this also falls into the category - we are performing the action based on our customer request/configuration.

- Jared