Akamai/HollisterCo

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Wed Dec 18 21:29:08 UTC 2019

That is a common issue eyeball ISPs have with CDNs and security companies.

The obvious technical contact is the CDN or security company, but they always redirect you to their client because they're "just doing what their client asked". Yes, please, reach out to Hollister's customer service department with a request to fix their web site (or tell you why they won't). See how far that gets you. Meanwhile, go buy some of their tacky apparel.

On the "just doing what their client asked", what *IS* it that the client asked? Surely Hollister didn't develop some personal spite for Dmitriy's client and bock their IP address. No, more likely is that some algorithm (rightly or wrongly) lumped Dmitriy's client's IP in a list of bad actors for some reason and Hollister has chosen to block that category of bad actor. Hollister would be equally clueless as to what is actually happening.

What the CDNs and security companies should respond with is something to the effect of, "We see 123.456.789.123 doing XYZ bad activity and it needs to stop before being allowed in." Ya know... the same way nearly every SPAM RBL works. You can then kill two birds with one stone: Dmitriy's client can now buy bad shirts and Dmitriy's client fixes whatever exploits are happening from their network.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com