Energy Efficiency - Data Centers

Rod Beck rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com
Wed Dec 18 21:14:50 UTC 2019

Well, the fact that a data center generates a lot of means it is consuming a lot of electricity. It is probably a major operating expense. And while it may be efficient given current technology standards, it naturally leads to the question of how we can do better.

Thermodynamics is only part of the picture. The other part is economics. If you see a lot of heat being produced and it is not the intended output, then it is anatural focus for improvement. My guess is that a lot of corporate research is going into trying to reduce chip electricity consumption.

So my gut feeling might still be relevant. It is about the level of energy consumption, not just the fact electricity becomes disorderly molecular gyrations.